Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Good Morning Sunshine

I have never been a morning person. Ask my mom. She would tell that out of the four siblings I loved my sleep the most. If you woke me up before 11am during my day off you pretty much woke up a monster. I also loved to nap. In college if I had only 20 minutes I would rush back to my dorm for a quick nap. One time before a class I fell asleep on my backpack in our locker room. I woke up with sleep marks all over my face. Very cute for the presentation I was about to give. Needless to say I like love my sleep.

Oh, have things changed...A little background, God has always been a huge part of my life. I did things by the book. I tried to live a moral and ethical life and not break the rules, but I never fully understood what it meant to be in a relationship and to love God. So, in contrast my relationship with the Lord was not my #1 priority in life. I have a great relationship my friends. I love my family but how do I love God? 

Back in fall 2011, one of my best friends recommended a book her bible study was going over called "Becoming a Woman of Prayer." She told me it was a great bible study for beginners not only because it is about God's invitation to deeper intimacy with Him, but also convenient and only took about 20 minutes to complete a chapter and questions. I knew I needed some major help in the prayer department and I longed for some guidance in that area. Therefore, I made a commitment to do a devotion at least twice a week in the morning. Yes, that meant getting up an hour earlier than I normally would. Yikes!

" You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:13

Oh boy, did I ever find Him...

It has been almost ten months and five more devotionals since my first morning. God, like He promised,  met me half way and has taken a hold of my heart. I can honestly say that mornings are my favorite part of the day. I try to read a chapter each moring during the weekday. However, there are some mornings I am unable to get a devotional in but I still find myself getting up early enough to make breakfast and brew a cup of coffee. There is just something very peaceful and calming starting your day off in the Word and a good cup of coffee.

Along this journey, I also discovered a devotional called "Discovering the Treasures of a Godly Woman: Proverbs 31 -  Woman After God's Own Heart.  The aurthor Elizabeth George has written multiple devotionals for women about different books and people of the Bible. I have really enjoyed her style of writting and her encouraging and wise words! The best part are that these devotions are tailored to the life and purpose of becoming a woman after Gods own heart.

Yes, I enjoy waking up to make breakfast and have my cup cups of coffee, but most of all I long for those quiet moments where I get to learn about Christ and grow in my faith.

I know that as I get older and move into different seasons of my life (marriage, children. etc.) that my morning routines will change and getting that quiet time might become a challenge. However, I finally have found the importance of quiet time & prayer, rediscovered my love for Christ and deepened my desire to grow in my relationship with Him. Now that is something that will never change and be with me through all seasons of my life.



Morning routine-  Make breakfast, brew coffee, enjoy the morning sunrise and dive into the Word.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!