Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mentoring Program

The Mentoring Program is a season-long partnership beginning in September and culminating in June at the Annual Convention. Mentors and Mentees will be encouraged to communicate at least once a month and meet during the Convention.
Anytime I have the opportunity to develop my skills and gain knowledge in my field I will take it.
The National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators (NACMA) has developed a mentoring program designed to assist all members of NACMA by matching them with a veteran administrator who will provide guidance and serve as a resource for ideas.

We all know the struggles of balancing life while continuing to excel in this industry; and by spending a little time with a mentor or mentee, you could make a huge impact on someone’s career simply by sharing your knowledge and experiences. In addition, the Mentoring Program will provide you an opportunity to increase your network, learn from veterans in the industry, share ideas and serve as a resource for young professionals.

We had to answer some questions so they can pair us up easier (answers below).I am excited to see who they pair me up with. I am also excited to learn better ways in which I can be a better mentor to the student-athletes and my student workers.

 I hope this is the start of a great mentorship!

--------------------------

What is your proudest athletics moment?

Our head men’s basketball coach is named Ryan Looney. Ryan mentioned at his last school they used to refer to his office as the Looney Bin. I then thought we would be fun to have a student section for the games called “The Looney Bin”. Before the game and Looney Bin debut, students where lining up to be a part of the Looney Bin! We even ran out of shirts for the students which I didn’t think were possible since getting students was a rare occurrence at some games. The proud moment was during a timeout the first half, I looked over at all the students cheering loudly, wearing the shirts and representing SPU. It was a simple moment, but the feeling of accomplishment and pride was overwhelming. 


What is your career goal?

This is a tough question for me and one I hope to fine tune this year and with the help of my mentor. When I first realized I wanted to get into sports administration I thought that I had to have the goal of becoming a big time athletic director. Even during grad school when people would ask I automatically mentioned athletic director because I thought that was the career goal I had to attain. However, throughout grad school, many informational interviews, experience, networking and major self discovery, I have learned that it is OK not to want to be an AD in this field. There are so many other areas in which I can grow, become successful and fulfilled!  I truly love what I am doing with marketing/promotions and events and can see this as an area I can grow into later in my career. Ultimately, I want to make the most impact on the student-athletes and their lives and I feel this area of marketing/events and because of the DII culture, I can have a role in the lives of the SA’s.


What do you hope to gain from the Mentoring Program this year?

I think having a mentor is very important for a career and in life. I hope to grow in my knowledge and understanding of my role in athletic administration. It would be nice to know that I am not alone in my struggles with my job, life and my balance. Networking is also huge in this industry to gain ideas and perspective on the ever changing athletic culture. Therefore, anytime I have the opportunity to learn how to be better at my job I will jump at it!  

What is your favorite thing to do when not at work?

The great thing about our career field is that it is not just a job, it is a lifestyle. I love being around the sporting events. I am passionate about SPU athletics and the student-athletes. I thrive off the competition and the fan atmosphere. However, one of the hardest things about this field is the time commitment. Most of my days/weekends are full of my work. I put in a lot of time into my job, not only so that I can be successful, make more money, etc., but to also invest in the student-athletes. Though this question is supposed to be a simple answer, I drew a complete blank on how to answer this question. What DO I do when I am not at work?

It was so easy for me to get caught up in having my job define me that I almost forgot I do have other interests! I like to read, hangout with my family and friends, workout, multiple daily visits to Starbucks J  Now, I am extremely blessed that I have a job I am so passionate about however, my job is not what defines me. Through this novel of an answer, I will say that my favorite, most fulfilling activity to do outside of work is to grow deeper in my relationship with Christ. Whether I am volunteering for children’s charities, advising my students for St. Jude fundraiser, fellowship with others or simply reading the Word, I want to know God better and grow more into the person He has created me to be. He is who defines me and my relationship with him. Thankfully, I have a job that gives me a platform to share those interests as well and encourages me to be a role model for those around me.

OK, off my soap box, I bet you didn’t think you would be getting that long of an answer! J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!