Thursday, September 20, 2012

When Little Things Dont Go as Planned

 

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

2 Corinthians 4:17-18



I get anxious a lot. I always worry. I always let the little things get the best of me.

For example, this is going to be my fifth year of working in events for SPU. I have managed over hundreds of SPU athletic events ranging from pre season games to hosting regional championships. Thankfully, I am blessed with an amazing staff and student workers, and every event, game, or promotion has been successful. In fact, if you asked me to name a time when I felt like I lost totally control I wouldn't be able to tell you. However, even after multiple events I still get anxious about every. single. event. Every single one! I want things to go smoothly. I want my student workers to work hard. I want them to do it right the first time. I want the coaches to be happy with the promotions. I want to the crowd to enjoy the event. I take much pride in the way the events are ran because I view that as a reflection of myself and my work ethic and character.

Well, this obviously isn't the way God intended us to live. In worry, in anxiety, in fear of failure of not just the big events but I was anxious about the if the popcorn machine would worked! Talk about control freak!

Let me give you an example of how sometimes my anxiety gets the best of me. Yesterday during a "big event" in my book. Our women's soccer was playing Western which always draws lots of fans, including lots of youth. Well, we had a couple youth teams come to be ball girls and I also decided that it should be an autograph night. I got the go ahead from the head coach so I was set on that. However, I got an email from a parent the day before confused and to me sounded a little angry about the pricing and what their involvement was to be ball girls. Well, of course as soon as I read that email I shut down.  I immediately started doubting my communication skills, my lack of focus and of course my ability to be a good event manager! This was all within one second of when I read the email. Are you kidding me Jessie! I wrote her back and apologized. However, that email still caused me to worry even before the game started!

However, God sures blessed me and again knows exactly what I need. Before the game started, the women from the email sought me out and apologized so sweetly about her email. She said she re-read it and she never meant to have it sound like she did. She said she was so grateful for the way I handle the email and was so willing to help her out. I was so thankful for the way God knew exactly what I needed and knew exactly what "little thing" was weighing on my heart.


" A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way." proverbs 20:24

Though it will take more practice and prayer to fully not let the little things get to me. This morning during my devotion, God once again reminded me that when I seek Him first  when those "little" things arise, they will really become only little things.

When little things don't go as you had hoped, continue to looked to Me lightheartedly and say, "Oh well."  This simple disciple can protect you from being burdened with an accumulation of petty cares and frustrations. You will realize that most of the things that you worry about are not important. If you shrug them off immediately and return your focus on Me, you will walk through your days with lighter steps and a joyful heart.
Beautiful evening for soccer!

Morning devotion from Jesus Calling 9/20/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!