Monday, October 1, 2012

Chosen For Ministry


You were chosen for Ministry. Just you. Just me. EVERYONE is made for ministry.

Now if you would have told me this last year, I would have disagreed with that statement. I would have attempted to argue that not everyone is equipped for ministry. Not everyone has the desire to go to Africa or overseas for a mission trip. Seriously, that was what I thought when I would hear the word ministry. Really Jess? Talk about missing the whole point of what ministry really means and what God is really saying about being chosen for ministry.  


I seriously thought that for me to minister, for me to serve, for me to make a difference I was going to have to venture outside the US and partake in a mission trip. I was uncomfortable with that and thought God could not possibly be calling ME to minister. I didnt feel any calling. Didnt know how to serve. I had no idea where to even begin. I am not famous. I dont have a platform that people would respond too. I must not be called to minister. So wrong. This is the kind of thinking the devil places in our thoughts to tempt away from hearing Gods true design for us.


After many confused nights, lots of questions, and trying to figure out on my own what Gods calling was for me, (Secretly praying it wasn't to go over to Africa. Is that even possible to "secretly" pray?) , I finally gave up. I decided to finally ask God, "What kind of legacy do you want me to leave."

Throughout this process, I have discovered that we are ALL called to minister in our own way, with our own gifts and talents, and are all meant to leave our own legacy. One that God has already prepared for us and called us to do.

God shaped YOU for ministry- The God of the universe shaped YOU uniquely to make a contribution in this world and the world to come.
God would support YOU in ministry- There is no way you can fail in your mission unless you fail to accept the calling of ministry.
God will answer YOUR questions- Ask God how He wants you to contribute. Ask Him how He wants to use the way He has created you to uniquely serve Him. Ask God- "What kind of God-legacy do you want me to leave?"


The Bible teaches that every Christian is:

- Created for ministry
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
- Saved for ministry
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,"
 2 Timothy 1:9
- Called into ministry
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 peter 2:9-10

- Gifted for ministry
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.1 Peter 4:10

- Authorized for ministry
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28: 18-20

-Commanded to minister
Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”Matthew 20:26-28

- Prepared for ministry
So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up. Ephesians 4:11-12

- Needed for ministry
Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.1 Corinthians 12:27

- Accountable for and rewarded according to his or her ministry
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.Colossians 3:23-24


No, I am not hopping on the next plane to Africa. No, I am still not famous. But I do have the responsibility to minister through the platform I do have . The platform God has placed me during this season of my life. I am still learning, seeking and asking God daily how He wants to use me, but I am more passionate, driven, and a little LOT less anxious about where I am headed (even if it is Africa:) I am excited for the possibilities and new territories God is going to open and show me.

This means ordinary people, with children, jobs and mortgages and really, really full calendars- in other words just like YOU and ME- are called to be ministers from God.

What will your legacy be?






"But you are a chosen people, a royal preisetgood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you our of darkness into His wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!