Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Purpose Driven Life

Warning: LOTS OF READING AHEAD!

The dictionary defines PURPOSE as "the reason for which something exists or is done, made, or used."


Have you ever wondered what is YOUR purpose here on earth?
Why You exist?
Why you were made?

I always knew that life is more the basketball, family, friends, my career
I knew that I God has called us to serve and love
I knew God has a purpose and a plan
It says in the bible "For I know the plans I have for you.."
But I had a hard time finding that plan for me
I had a hard time finding something I was passionate about
Was I supposed to go to Africa?
Seriously, I was lost.
How do I find my purpose?

 
Fast forward 27 years, and lots of praying, self discovering, heart break, tears, anger and frustration and I am just now grasping that my purpose here on earth is not about me
Let me say that again, THIS LIFE IS NOT ABOUT ME
It is not about my family or friends
It is not about my career or even my wildest dreams or ambitions

If you want to know why you were placed on this planet
 you must begin with God
You and I were born by His purpose and for His purpose

"You were made by God and for God-and until you understand that, life will never make sense. It is only in God that we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, our significance, and our destiny"
-Rick Warren

Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose
When we start looking outside ourselves, start living our life serving God by loving others is when we find our purpose

The easiest way to discover your life's purpose is to ASK GOD
This consisted of A LOT of praying for me
Praying for God to help me with my selfishness
Praying for God to show me how HE wants to use me
Praying that HE would guide me in the right direction 
Praying that HE would provide opportunities for me to serve
Praying for HIM to fire a passion in my heart to serve

I remember last January my roommate and I were talking about life
We both were in a rut in our careers and both felt we wanted more from life
This was the beginning of God tugging at my heart
This was when I knew I was created for more

My roommates mentor from high school sent her the prayer of Jabez that night
"Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil." 1 Chronicles 4:9-10

I thought it couldn't hurt so I started praying that prayer everyday

God is so good
God does answer prayers

Then came that spring
I had been looking for ways for our athletes could get more involved in the community
I was searching for random charities and events that the SPU athletes could get involved with
I didn't even think about myself serving with them 

God has another idea...








I dont know why 
I don't remember how
But those charities were placed on my heart 
 I needed to contact them, so I did
I felt like my heart was going to burst with excitement
With purpose
With anxiety
With fear
All rolled into one!

Flash forward to this winter, not even a year ago, and I am head over heels in love with dedicating my life to helping children with pediatric cancer and illness

I know now that St. Jude and Make-A-Wish had been charities that were placed on my heart for a reason 

I long to help 
I long to provide
I long to serve
I am sure of it

So whether I am organizing a toy drive, running a race, climbing stairs, advising fundraisers
I long to spread more faith, hope, love and joy to those children who are in need

You know those pictures of famous people going into children's hospitals and seeing the children with HUGE Smiles??
They light up!
Instant smiles

 Well, I have dream of having that ability one day
Going into hospitals and being able to make children smile 
Smiles of JOY
Feelings of HOPE
Sense of LOVE
Sharing FAITH

Can you imagine having that ability?! 
...one day



But right now I am doing my best to follow what God has placed in front of me, with the resources He has given me, and of course the passion He has placed in my heart

Is this my purpose?
I don't know but I am going to continue to ask God to show me
Use me for His Glory

AND guess what month is Childhood Cancer Awareness month?

September!

Which happens to be my birthday month 

Coincidence? 
Maybe another way God is reassuring me :) 

----------------------------------


On that note, here is a little girl who captivated my heart!
She was the CNN young Hero winner
 If you know me you know I do not cry that much
During her segment on CNN I was balling
Tears of pain
Tears of sadness for her family
But mostly for her strength and inspiration 

As you can see, Jessie passed away but her legacy lives on with Joy Jars
I am hoping to get our SPU SAAC involved and do a toy drive for her Joy Jars
I asked if we are able to deliver them, but only specific personnel...one day :) 



HER FAVORITE BIBLE VERSES WERE:

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9



Her message of hope, strength and perseverance has made its way around the world inspiring both young and old to stay strong and reach for their goals. 
Jessie’s motto to Never Ever Give Up will always be our message to kids and families across the globe.

I am excited to see how God is going to use me for Jessie! 

PS- could she have a better name?! ;) 
----------------------

Speaking of inspiring little children!
Meet Emma Joy!
Another little girl who has been such a blessing


This evening I participated in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Stair Climb!  
56-floors to the top of the WAMU Tower
My lungs burned
I thought my  throat was bleeding on fire
But I survived! 

Emma Joy is one my co-worker’s daughter 
who has brought so much joy, not only me but our office.




I have gotten to know her better the past couple years and have loved spending time with her. She may only be in 3rd grade but this girl is teaching me so much!



Emma is a servant

Always asking me how she can help me- in fact I thanked her one time for helping and she said “I love helping people!”
Emma is SO bright
She assists me during athletic events by counting money and tickets- Most events she is more accurate than my college workers
Emma is fun to be around
She enjoys “Can You See What I See” books and we read those whenever she comes into the office
Emma has tons of energy
Emma always thinks of others

Despite her first chronic airway issue, Emma is a thriving 3rd grader and she remains healthy enough, indeed blessed enough to ascend the 56 floors for the third time
This is the first year I climbed for the E-Team! Keith, the dad and co-worker, mentioned it was stronger than ever this year (I like to think because I joined) but it was probably just because we had more people :) 


Cant beat that smile!


Perfect gift from above





A fathers love


Life is not about discovering yourself, but becoming what God created you to be



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!